View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 07:54 PM   #10
ray_mcavoy

Re: quadrajet on a 250 inline advice

Hi sixtyeightchevykid,

I disagree about the Quadrajet being too big for your 250. GM used them on smaller engines than that from the factory (231 Buick V6 for example). Their secondary air doors limit the flow based on engine demand. And GM often used a stop/tab to limit the opening of the secondary air doors on carbs used on smaller size engines.

Now, that's not to say that you can bolt any old Q-jet onto your 250, make a few jet changes, and have it running perfectly. There are a HUGE number of different Q-jet calibrations for various engines/vehicles that have different jets, metering rods, power piston springs, air bleed sizes, and more. With that in mind, getting a carb that was originally used on a similar size engine would make the best starting point. It'll still have to be fine tuned for your particular engine/vehicle but it'll be a lot better starting point than a Q-jet originally off a larger engine.

Hooking a manual choke up to a Q-jet isn't that hard. Adapters are readily available to convert the integral hot air or electric chokes to a manual cable. And you can hook the cable directly to the linkage on the divorced choke style carbs ... just have to make a bracket to hold the cable.

For the throttle linkage, I think adapting a cable style setup from a newer truck might make it easier to hook up to the Q-jet or any sideways mounted 4bbl for that matter. You'd likely need a longer cable than stock though.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote