View Single Post
Old 04-30-2018, 09:56 AM   #5
MARTINSR

Re: Hood alignment help

Here is a photo on where to shim it to lower the rear of the hood. But first.....

Did you have these panels aligned before you painted? You SHOULD have, that is when you align parts, then mark, remove, paint and reassemble and done deal. I know I did this on my Gran Sport and still the hood was up in the back. I shimmed it down and then someone pointed out to me that I had powdercoated the hinges, maybe they were simply not "happy" and moving freely. Sure enough, after I lubed them they moved more freely and the hood came down. So I see that those hinges look newly painted, maybe the paint is making the hinge not move as freely. The hinge is in that open position when you paint them remember (if the spring was on at the time) and the areas that rub together when the hinge is moving into the down position will be covered with paint!

So lube it FIRST and open raise and lower the hood many times to get it moving freely.

After that, then you can think about shimming the hood down at the points where the arrows are in this photo. It seems odd as hell to shim the hood down, I know, but look at it as said in the previous post, you are "rotating" the hinge to close further down.

It also looks like you need to go forward a little too, do that first so the hood doesn't hit the cowl. If it ends up too far forward once the rear is lowered, that's an easy fix to move it back, but hitting the cowl is NOT an easy fix.

NOW, all this is taking into account that the front fenders and such were all aligned properly! If you painted a bunch of replacement parts and such and never trail fitted them prior to paint, you are in for a BIG project and we need to look at a bunch of other stuff so let us know if that is what you did.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote