View Single Post
Old 12-06-2018, 02:00 PM   #7
EVRLET

Re: Shocks for 3/6 Drop

1. No I did not get the stock size for my 2001 or 1997.

2. Don’t let extenders confuse you. Extenders accomplish two things: 1) establishes the correct angle; 2) allows you to use whatever shock was on the truck prior to the lowering if the kit didn’t come with shocks.

If the shocks that are on there now are good, use those and call it a day. But keep in mind that the ride quality won’t be as good as stock height. If they are bad, then you can either order stock replacements or find different ones. I personally wouldn’t use stock shocks on a lowered vehicle, but some do. Keep in mind that if you order stock shocks, you will be compressing the shock quite a bit to install them, thus reducing your shock stroke. If you want to buy something other than stock dimensions, keep reading.

3. There are three specifications to shocks that you want to pay close attention to: fully open length, compressed length, shock stroke.

For my blue 2001 Silverado pictured above, here are some numbers:

Factory shock
AC Delco 52085

Fully open length - 24.51”
Compressed length - 14.98”
Shock stroke - 9.53”

Air shock
Monroe MA727

Fully open length - 20.375”
Compressed length - 12.75”
Shock stroke - 7.625”

On my red 1997 Chevy Silverado, here are the specs for the factory shock and Belltech:

AC Delco 52041

Fully open length - 26.76”
Compressed length - 16.23”
Shock stroke - 10.53”

Belltech 2212IF

Fully open length - 22.5”
Compressed length - 14.0”
Shock stroke - 8.0”

Remember that by lowering the truck, you have shortened the distance between the two shock mounting points. Plus the rear end will have less vertical travel length due to the lowering, thus a smaller shock stroke is to be expected. Both of my trucks have shock extenders on them.