View Single Post
Old 01-19-2017, 11:53 PM   #60
1971_c10

Re: C10CJ: A Pro-touring '71 Stepside on a No Limit Pro-C10 Chassis

Had a busy last weekend ... so I'll start with the front bumper.

Whew ... fitting the front bumper has been a micro PIA. Mainly for a couple reasons: 1) I'm a bit OCD when it comes to getting the body features aligned; 2) the bumper itself isn't truly symmetrical; 3) the bumper mounts aren't quite the same as the factory. So keep in mind, the No Limit chassis doesn't have any holes drilled in the bumper mounts. I'm assuming this is so you can mount whatever you want with a clean slate, be it an OEM style bumper, roll pan, or a steel bar.

So it's a process of putting the bumper up, eyeballing fit, taking it down, shifting things around, repeat. Oh, and the grill is in that mess too.

After a few hours of trials, I finally got the holes for the bottom bumper mounts figured out. I then proceeded to punch a couple 1/2" holes in my nice pretty chassis. Hence the 4th reason it took me so long to get here. I didn't want to screw it up. The bottom holes set the height, and subsequently the alignment to the fenders.

Next up were the upper mount brackets and getting those positioned and holes drilled. The upper mounts set the tilt of the bumper.

So for those of you that want the details for measurements, here they are.
For reference, I used the cross bar that is the radiator support as the reference for front to back measurements, the outside face of the bumper mount for the side to side and the bottom for up/down.

Bottom hole: About 1/2" up from the bottom of the bumper mount, wrap this around onto the front of the mount, then about 1.25" in from the outside. My lower bumper holes were 26" apart, so that drove the 1.25" based on the outside to outside of the bumper mounts being 28.5"

Top Hole: I used the OEM style upper bracket. This one is 5 5/8" forward from the cross bar. I then put the hole close to the center, maybe a little outside of center. But I made sure I did the same thing on the left mount I did on the right mount.

I may wind up slotting the bottom hole to improve the mounting just a touch, but for right now it's just a 1/2" hole.

Then last set is the outside holes. They have a bracket I'll need to modify since the frame rails are roughly 3" wider vs stock. These mainly keep the bumper from flopping around and give it some additional structural support. So far I've sectioned 1.5" from the bracket, but I think I need a little more.
Attached Images

Build Thread for my '71 Pro-Touring: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=722029
My C10 has it's own facebook page! www.facebook.com/c10cj - it is a public page so no facebook account required to browse through.
1971_c10 is offline   Reply With Quote