View Single Post
Old 01-04-2017, 10:51 PM   #17
clemsonteg

Re: Body Filler Application

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot Stomper View Post
You're right, it is too low OR the area around is too high... my guess is "too low".
Don't be afraid to spread the filler over an area that's larger than you think it needs. As you sand it down it will come into shape.

Don't rely so much on what you see at this stage but rather what you feel in your whole hand as you run it over the repair area. You will feel low and high spots as well as other imperfections.

I noticed your sand scratches are running the length of the panel and this is wrong. You need to sand at a diagonal to the curve to make a cross hatch pattern while keeping the sandpaper parallel to the floor. This is why and how a 11 inch block works on large panels without needing a 24 inch sanding block. Sand some from bottom left rising up towards top right and then change to the other direction... bottom right up towards top left. You can abraid while moving up and down as the direction of the sanding stroke is what will give you a straight panel.
Thank you for all of your advice. I got the 2 trouble spots taken care of tonight and I think I am really close to the "last skim" with the putty. Everything to the rear of the wheel feels really good and I'm not going to mess with it anymore. I'm working on a few low spots toward the cab and that will be ready as well. After all of that I should be able to tackle the area on top near that is still in primer.

It's also amazing what the right tools and a variety will do!
Attached Images

clemsonteg is offline   Reply With Quote