View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #13
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Re: Drop shocks? 97 4/6??

Honestly? I went with the Bilstein BST Lowered. The front shocks that were replaced were worn out. 2-inches lowered up front with spindles, doesn't mean that shock length is any different from OEM. Geometry doesn't change, in that sense, but you need something that is more resistant to road surface changes to keep the tire from bottoming out, like mine were. The BST series is heavy duty and the front end is great, now.

Out back, with my truck sitting static, there is 16-inches between the upper mount and the center-line of the lower mount bolt. Bilstein apparently doesn't have anything that will fit, in my case, even though their on-line application guide says that the very shocks I bought for the rear (24-021715), state that they will fit up to 4-inches of lowering in the rear. So, NO, they will not work. Stock? I think so, according to the extensive listing of all the 88-98's that they fit. They just won't work on my app, but I wish they did. Originally, the site stated "with shock extensions". However, the install guy at a local aftermarket supplier said NO to shock extensions. Apparently, Bilstein has dropped that stipulation, too. I'm not a fan of the idea of extensions, but someone may have another opinion...anyone? Maybe I'll post that question...

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote