Thread: A/C condenser
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2017, 08:18 PM   #14
tucsonjwt

Re: A/C condenser

I took my 83 into the A/C shop yesterday. The shop owner has an 84 C10 SB big block, so he knows my situation. The verdict is that the old A6 has a knock, but is still cooling. The system was evacuated and recharged and put out somewhat acceptably cool temperature but only with the higher engine rpms. My current carburetor does not have a fast idle solenoid, so I think I will just turn the throttle bracket set screw a little for the summer to bring up the RPMs. I drive the truck very little, and my gas mileage is already poor with a BB 4:10 anyway.

I was advised to see if I can tolerate the A/C as is prior to investing in major surgery. The recommended replacement compressor was a Sanden, which would require essentially rebuilding everything under the hood. They have sufficient, but significantly less, gross cooling output, but are more reliable.

I did some research on a new A6. I think Alma Products is the only one still making new A6 compressors (mostly for heavy equipment and farm equipment.) Their website states that they have improved the seal from a birdcage to double lipped design, improved the felt seal, and have newer styled better pistons. I don't know if this is advertising hype or is a real improvement. The also remanufacture A6 compressors, so my guess is these are the private branded reman compressors you see on Ebay, Amazon, etc.

Rock Auto has some "new" compressors, but they are all from "various suppliers" or Four Seasons. The only new Delco A6 is actually a rebadged S6, as far as we could tell from the pictures. ($385) I was told that the S6 compressors are Chinese made and of very poor quality. This shop would not install one.

I took apart the dash pad and removed all of the interior ductwork to make sure that all of the vacuum controls and associated doors are functioning properly and it all seems to work OK.

I was told that there was no obstruction (such as a rodent nest or leaf accumulation) in the heater box.

The evaporator was OK.

I will have to see if the truck cools ok in the 115 degree August monsoon heat.

BTW - They had a '36 Cadillac rat rod in the shop with a supercharged LS Cadillac engine (556 hp.) After a chopped top, sectioning, etc. there was not much left to that body. They said the owner wanted to keep it all "Cadillac." Not my cup of tea, but obviously a lot was invested in it. I am guessing that the owner was not too concerned about the cost of a custom A/C system.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote