View Single Post
Old 08-20-2014, 05:11 PM   #10
II_Slow

Re: 55*6BT My 55 w/ Cummins power

Fabbed up my own motor mounts and motor supports to hang the engine......

Fabbed up a cross member that I hate, ashamed to show it, time for a do-over.

With the frame was narrowed, it was causing several issus with the steering components and had the pitman arm and idler too close together so I stepped the frame back out between the control arm and steering box, then notched the frame rail to clear the steering column and boxed everthng back in. This still required me to shorted the long tie rod by 3 inches on each side. I've moved the suspension though its full range of travel and it does not appear to introduce too much bump steer. The heavy suspension should not move too much under normal operation any way. I still intend to sleeve the tierods where I have them butt welded now.

I had to narrow the rearend 6-inches as well. I had a shop do that with the correct fixtures and jigs to get it straight. Went ahead and centered the pinion sice we were cutting any way. I have left the spring perches floating for now until I establish final ride height and set the pinion angle.

I also bought new tires - a little taller on the back for some "rubber rake" - I'm old school and like them a little higher in the rear.

With the engine and transmission in place, I squared and leveled the cab and bed with the wheels centered in the fenders. Dropped it as low as I could then cut these cab mounts.

Use some 2x2x1 poly pucks to isolate the cab and tacked on the mounts.

Added a frame underneath thr seats to clear the kick-up in the Dodge frame, then started putting together a transmission tunnel.

I really needed to get moving on getting the steering column installed so I hunded down some seats to I could get a better idea of where the steering wheel would be. with the engine set back as far as it is, it's really crowding the area right at my feet and to get the pedals to clear the transmission tunnel, everthing is moved outboard. This also had to happen to get the master cylinder moved further away from the engine. There was no way in hell the vacuum brake booster was going to fit, so I've switched it over to hydroboost. The pedals will swing off of the Dodge hanger, which also bolts to the mastercylinder. I had to rework the gas pedal and brake pedal to allow the steering colum to pass between the two instead of outside of them.

Out of time again today - will try to get build pics caught up tomorrow.
II_Slow is offline   Reply With Quote