Thread: 24v Questions
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2017, 09:07 PM   #65
notchbackgta

Re: 24v Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Yes, the boost pressure opens the waste gate. It should have a 180 or 190* thermostat in it. Someone could have put a 160 in it but that won't be real nice for you in the winter if you want any heat.
OK, I will definitely try to remember to plug the WG port before I drive it next. EVERY time I jump in it to do something I remember I should have looked at plugging that, lol sometimes I have the memory span of a goldfish

Fortunately for now the temp won't be much of a problem, I don't plan on driving it too much in winter, it will probably start getting torn down before the end of this year. I think I will get my 4wd swap most of the way through before I take the Dodge apart. Going to Idaho in a few weeks to go get a K20 frame from the guy that buys Suburbans to make crew cabs for his business, he posts on here

The reason I was thinking about the temperature, I have been thinking, about how to get the grid heater to work automatically like it would be stock, but without the Dodge (or Cummins?) computer. I was thinking I could use a 6.2/6.5 glow plug heater solenoid, but it looks like the glow plug inhibit switch is not available anymore and is troublesome anyway. Then I was thinking I could just use a thermostatically controlled fan switch to work the 6.2/6.5 solenoid. Then I thought, I am overthinking that. I could just use a fan switch with a relay, but I couldn't find a low enough temp fan switch, so I was thinking an adjustable fan controller would work instead since you can control when the "fan" would come on, but instead of turning on the fan, it could turn the grid heater off. Then I thought, maybe I am overthinking it at all since most people don't find the need to use the grid heater on a Cummins unless it is REALLY cold, like colder than -20 or something. Should I even bother with the fan thing? In the end I was thinking I could just put a timed relay on a switch (I was going to have a switch in addition to the fan controller in case it failed) with a momentary push button switch and just use it as necessary. Set the timer to maybe 20 seconds. I really just want to be able to use and light up the "Wait start" on the Dakota Digital dash

Also, does the VE pump have a high idle, or cold start solenoid on it? There is something on the side of the pump with an electrical tab and I am not sure what it is.
notchbackgta is offline   Reply With Quote