View Single Post
Old 08-12-2016, 04:58 PM   #41
69gmcc10

Re: My New 03 1500HD

New additions!

At the end of June I become a father for the first time, to a baby boy none the less! May the gods of internal combustion please be with me! With this addition to my life I have learned that what I thought I once had figured out just changed and adjustments need to be made.

Apparently, with kids comes allot of stuff, I mean lots of stuff!... and crap, but we are taking about the stuff! So, when we travel there is a car seat, and a base to the seat (permanently mounted in the truck) and a bag 5 times the size of the kid (in case aforementioned crap appears), and a huge jogger (like a stroller is no longer good enough, it is like 50 time the size of the stroller of my youth, and I refuse to believe that the vast majority of these things get used at full pace! Also I am 100 times more likely to stroll with this thing than try to kill myself push this thing during a jog!). Not to mention if we go over night somewhere, then there is a pack and play (portable crib) and a rocker (which is the only thing he sleeps in, so I don't know what the pack and play is for other than showing off), a changes of cloths (his mom packs him more cloths than she dose for herself and I still just have a small backpack form my early 20s), bedding, and toiletries. Like I said, stuff.

Even though this is a 4 door truck I cant get all this stuff in the cab and my wife wont let me leave the truck anywhere with stuff in the bed, least of all the beloved jogger, so I began the search for a tonneau cover fore some out of sight out of mind safety. Just when I thought I had the perfect cover picked out, my brother-in-law decided to sell me his fiberglass leer truck cap, shell, topper, or whatever you want to call it, for almost nothing! Did I mention that his truck is the same color as mine and that the topper was already color matched, it is in good shape, looks sharp, and I couldn't pass it up.

But, I ran into another issue when I put the topper on the truck, now it looked like a giant Suburban and I am not a soccer mom or dad, yet...please lord don't let him like soccer, I would much prefer hockey! I figured the best way to undomesticate it with out going off the deep end and keep it respectable at the same time was to add some tow mirrors and a roof rack. I picked up a set of Fit systems factory replacement extendable mirrors off Amazon (part #62076g) which bolted right up and had most of the features my current mirrors had like electric adjustment, blinkers, and heat. These mirrors are huge, perfect for hauling stuff and I use the fish eyes on the bottom 1/3 all the time! The only issue I have with the mirrors are that they don't work with dual driver position settings nor do any after market mirrors I looked at so I had to turn that function off in the trucks setting, but since I am the only person that drives this truck its no big deal.

I have not figured out the roof rack yet because the topper has bolt on rain gutter mounts and I don't know what configuration i want to go with. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

And there you go, Kid, Topper, Mirrors, Stuff that goes with kid...new additions! I think it is looking good and coming right along.
Attached Images

03 Silverado build thread-http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=591582
69gmcc10 is offline   Reply With Quote