View Single Post
Old 05-11-2014, 12:05 PM   #18
smbrouss70

Re: Ratchet's Blazer - 1970 2wd with Original paint

I took some time to strip most of the caulking out of the drip rail above the windshield. It looks like I will have to repair a little bit of the windshield frame, but I do have another one that has been sitting in my closet since 2005 so it shouldn't be a problem. I have already talked to Kevin (painter extraordinaire who painted Bowtie468's truck) and we have a game plan for hiding the minor rust repairs. Basically, I will fix all of the problems, then I will spray LizardSkin throughout the interior except for the dash and door surfaces that will be seen, then we will re-spray the interior on top of the LizardSkin in the factory Dark Blue. The bed area will be left with paint showing, and the front will get a rubber floor covering which is what it has now. The seats, console, door panels, and dash pad will be parchment while leaving the sun visors blue (since they stick up above the windshield when the top is off). I will replace all of the weatherstripping on the double wall top, and will use parts of my other double wall top to ensure that the white soft top that I get for it will not have to have holes drilled in my windshield frame.

I did find out that I have the wide 70 rear axle, according to my measurements. That means the 73+ rear axles that I have should work for converting to 5-lug as well as the backspacing that was ordered on my wheels. Also, it looks like the Blazer body that I have had in my backyard has the required pieces to add the bracing for the rear seat and passenger seat since apparently my Blazer was bought new with only one utility bucket in the front.

I find that this Blazer has a really odd combination of options from the factory. It came from the factory with only a driver's seat, posi-trac rear axle, 350, 4-speed, soft-ray tinted glass, power steering, non-powered brakes, and it was a radio delete truck. It's just weird, but I still LOVE it. Every time I see it sitting in my driveway, it makes me smile.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote