View Single Post
Old 02-14-2018, 12:40 PM   #8
davepl

Re: Cost of repop vs OE

It also depends who you are dealing with. I know a guy who sold a blue NOS steering wheel for a couple of hundred bucks, then when I needed it I offered that new guy DOUBLE what he paid, but he wasn't interested. He didn't care about restoring trucks, just making money off trucks. Totally mercenary, which is fine because it's a business.

At the other end of the spectrum you'll find people like me who, although they don't have a lot of stuff, wind up giving it away to people who are actually restoring a nice truck just to see it get done. But I've pretty much given away all of my truck stuff by now.

In the middle you have the supply and demand of eBay, where prices are actually set.

Once a reproduction part enters the market, if it's good, it can really shift prices of originals. Particularly for parts that are needed but not closely inspected. For stuff that is important but poorly reproduced (like door panels) the price of originals will remain high if there is a group of people doing higher end restorations.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote