View Single Post
Old 06-26-2007, 10:23 PM   #10
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Re: "Check engine" light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
lets not flame the mechanic untill we find out what happens when it goes back in.
I will back you on this. if we all keep an open (albeit cautious) mind things will go smoother for all parties involved. not a single one of us was there watching over the tech's shoulder. I refuse to condone shoddy diagnostics but yet I have such a limited amount of info at this time.

As for the book time thing, any mechanic will tell you, it is just as easy to get burned on that as it is to come out ahead.
I lost 2.5 hours on a GM 6.0 broken exhaust bolt job last week. I ended up pulling the head and felt it wasnt right to charge the customer for un-productive time. (my conscience hurts, grrrr)

I also want to point out how a check engine light can come on for about 175 different reasons on newer vehicles. many are even more numerous. for instance a code P0442 (.020 evap system leak) could be caused by one or more of the untold quantity of clamps or fittings leaking, a loose or defective gas cap, dirt or bugs stuck in the vent solenoid valve, defective leak detection pump...
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote