View Single Post
Old 04-17-2017, 09:42 PM   #288
LynnB

Re: 68 C50 Looongbed pickup build

You sir, are a retard (and a genius). Welcome to the club. I am president of our local chapter (retard club... afraid I haven't achieve genius yet).

I don't know how I missed this thread. Freakin awesome build. I love old trucks, especially the BIG ones.

Your thread reminds me of two of my past ventures.

1. Back in the 70's I was a part time youth pastor. The church owned this old worn out converted 60's school bus with a REALLY worn out GMC V6. It would barely run. I volunteered my time to swap in a tall deck 427 out of a big Chevy truck. Lots of little issues, but got it done. Used a Holley 780 carb and ran dual 2.5 inch exhaust all the way out the back. Not nearly as extensive as your project, but it did remind me of that swap. I was working at a Buick dealership at the time and they let me bring the bus to the dealership for the swap.

2. I just finished a great build putting a 1972 C50 drive train in my 49 Studebaker farm truck. I upgraded the 350 engine to a moder roller cam. Lots of issues, but really a fun project... again, not nearly as involved as yours. Very abbreviated build thread here, just in case someone is interested: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ans-into-2R16A

Laughed out loud when I read this:

In cutting the rivets out I had slightly cut into the plates which ultimately creates a weak spot where a crack might form right where it will bolt back together. So I went to weld them up and on the very first arc a molten ball of slag dropped through one of the many holes in my work jeans, rolled down my leg, into my boot and came to rest on top of my foot.

BTW, I have done this twice, albeit while using a cutting torch. I have a scar on the instep of each foot. i TOLD you I was president of the local chapter.

I also set my pants on fire in Jan 2015 while cutting some huge pieces of steel. My wife was helping me by standing on the steel. She had a fire extinquisher in her hand, but didn't realize I was on fire. I said: "Really? I'm on fire and you won't put me out?" Of course, she would have if she had realized what was going on. She is an angel, and helps me with ALL my bone headed projects.

REALLY looking forward to seeing the rest of this. My hat is off to you.

Lynn
LynnB is offline   Reply With Quote