View Single Post
Old 08-11-2017, 03:56 PM   #3
rally

Re: 350 build - where do I start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
That rear axle ratio definitely does seem tall. I used to have a 3.08 rear ratio in my 69 with a th350 and it did fine for my purpose. In your case I agree that it's great for cruising at freeway speeds but if you want more pulling power I'd definitely would be looking for another rear axle ratio.

One more thing, I doubt you will get good gas mileage with these trucks unless you completely change to computerized fuel injection. Even then, it may gain you just a few more but nothing to brag about.
Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure you're right about the gas mileage. I tossed around the idea of going fuel injected, but I kind of feel like I should keep it simple for now. I don't take it out very often so I guess MPG isn't too important.

But where should I start when building the engine? I figure I'd keep the stock block and build on it. It sounds like the heads are prone to cracking when I looked up that casting number. Can I just buy any set of heads from a vendor and throw it on the block (assuming they're made for a 350)? Or what should I be looking for?

How can I tell a head/block/camshaft combo works together before buying them?