View Single Post
Old 08-12-2017, 12:49 PM   #7
truckster

Re: 350 build - where do I start?

If you have a real desire to rebuild your engine, I agree with 68gmsee that your first task is to disassemble the engine and see what condition everything is in. Unless you're experienced and have the right tools, you'll need to take it to a machine shop to have everything checked. Once you know what's usable and what machine work you need you can start planning for parts and cost.

You may find that a crate engine is a better deal for you. All new parts and a warranty to boot. Unless you're dead-set on going all original, I have a fondness for the L31 Vortec crate engine. You can get one for around $2k. You'll get a roller cam, one-piece rear main seal, and the best heads Chevy ever put on a small block. If you go that way, you'll need a new intake. a mellonized gear for your distributor, an electric fuel pump, and a flywheel or flex plate with the 1-piece seal pattern.