View Single Post
Old 07-27-2020, 10:34 AM   #511
Purcell69

Re: 1957 Chevy 3100, meet 1994 Dodge Ram 1500

Well, I don't know what went south, but I have some work to do in the fuel system. The other day, I had pulled her around back to move some hay, only to have the engine shut down behind the barn. I had filled her up before the car show and only drove a short distance round trip; less than 100 miles.

The fuel gauge isn't working yet, but to date, she routinely sees 13.7ish MPG. Given a 26 gallon tank, she shouldn't have been out of fuel. If she was, that would have been a bit over 2 MPG and there was no way she was running anywhere near that rich. Still, I put two gallons in her and she fired right up like nothing was wrong.

Last night, I poked around on the bottom of the gas tank and was satisfied there was much more than two gallons in the tank, so I drove her to the local store to top up the tank. When I got to the store, (closed on Sundays but pumps are 24 hrs), I put 0.013 gallons in her before the gas station ran out. I thought this was no big deal, since there was another convenience store a mile down the road.

As I started to pull onto the highway, she cut out again. Just like she was out of gas again. Kim brought a 5 gallon can from the house, and a recovery strap, just in case. Four gallons filled her to the top, so six gallons in, divided by driven miles equals 13 MPG and change.

It seems I have an intermittent fail in the fuel pump, or the electronics that go to it. I'll have to probe it with my test light and see if it is something with the wiring or the fuel pump went south.

-Joe