View Single Post
Old 02-23-2024, 12:25 PM   #54
Old_Green

Re: 1968 C40 to K40 pickup project BlueMule

Been a little while since I posted but I have been working on the doors.
I took a bunch of video of the door skin stretch and re-assembly, so I may to post that to YouTube and will post a link if so.
I finished up the passenger door skin, cleaned up the welds as best I could and reassembled the door. Re-bending the hem material of the skin back onto the door was a pain. The 1968 panel (blue) I had only bent 30 to 45 degrees, but it split in several places when bending back down, so I had to weld the door edge after I got it all back together. I didn't have any issues with the 1972 panels, even where I had to bend them up to 90 degrees to get the panel back on the frame.
I then used a surface conditioning tool to remove all the old vinyl sign material. You can see on the last post that the doors had some magnetic signs on them over the old vinyl too, so there is some rust that got between the magnet and the door. I wanted to expose all of that, and get it cleaned up and treated. I also took the rest of the paint off the skin. Then I test fit the door onto the cab.
It will need a little work on the drip edge gap.
Attached Images

67 Camaro "Amber"
72 K10 Longbed "Old Green"
68 C40 to K40 project BlueMule Build
2006 GMC Sierra "Lello Truck"
Old_Green is offline   Reply With Quote