View Single Post
Old 09-20-2008, 11:21 PM   #120
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Re: Brent's '72 Custom/10 SWB stepside build

Moved the frame this morning to make room for the trailer to clear out the old cab remnants. Made a whopping $24 on that sale. Sheesh. Between the saw blades and electricity I used to section it up and the cost of gas for two round trips to get the truck and trailer, come home and load up, turn around and go back to the scrap yard, and then come home again, I'll be lucky if I broke even on the deal. But at least the stuff is gone!

Started installing the CPP aluminum gas tank this afternoon. So far it's been the hardest part of the whole project, believe it or not. Despite careful marking and drilling and test-fitting, I can't quite get all the holes to line up for the actual installation. I've got one bolt remaining that's giving me problems. Worst part right now is that one of the nuts on the backing strip provided with the kit got cross-threaded and I don't have a tap to chase the threads. Have to do that when I'm out at my folks' place tomorrow morning. Worked on it until well past dark and finally had to give up. Smashed the hell out of my pinky in the process, too -- 3/8" drill bit hung up in the metal but that Milwaukee drill just kept right on going, oblivious to the fact that my pinky was between it and the tank. It'll heal but it's swollen and red, but thankfully not broken.

Also started installing the CPP front shock absorber reinforcing brackets. (Can you tell where I like to shop for parts? ) The angle on them isn't quite right and so I'm going to have to force them into shape. One's already done, using an impact wrench and a Grade 8 bolt to cinch it down and flatten the angle slightly. Other side will be easy. Nice thing is that I'll be able to use an existing hole in the frame for the top bolt on each side.

That's all for today. Have to work a bit tomorrow morning inspecting food stands at the annual fall car show / swap meet. I usually take advantage of my free admission as a health inspector to spend a few hours checking out the vendors, but this year I just wanna get home and keep working. Can't imagine there'll be anything there I can't live without for the time being. I'll be sorry....
Attached Images

'72 Chevy SWB stepside - [ Build Thread ]
'79 ChevMC SWB fleetside - [ Build Thread ]
'64 Chevy SWB fleetside & '66 Chevy SWB stepside (waiting in the wings...)

Last edited by brossow; 09-20-2008 at 11:24 PM.
brossow is offline   Reply With Quote