Thread: TA_C10: Stage 1
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2018, 08:46 PM   #6
TA_C10

Re: TA_C10: Stage 1

May I have your attention please?
May I have your attention please?
Will the real Slim Shady please stand up?
I repeat will the real Slim Shady please stand up?
We're going to have a problem here

When I bought the truck it had started to rain ever so slightly, enough the owner and my buddy weren't bothered by it. I noticed the truck was pretty decent looking, I checked out the inside of the cab, noticed there was a little water under the dash when i looked up into its insides, both sides had that, I figured it was a windshield leak, no big deal, expected from a 40+ year old truck, I can fix that. Got under the truck, everything looked real good, I noticed the PO had fixed many of the panels that normally go bad on these trucks and was pleased to see this as I wouldn't have to do this work.

I knew the engine was shot, I never took his word that it was just a head gasket. Been there, got the t-shirt. So I'm thinking sweet, windshield gasket, rebuild engine, few minor fixes, up and running then I can start stage 2 and slowly build this thing into what I had pictured in my head.

Wrong. I didn't know what I was looking at. Those nice new panels he worked on? Yeah they were just covers. Not only that but I was so inexperienced at this that when I removed them, there was only 1 self tapping sheet metal screw holding them on....

And as I start stripping away new sheet metal, it just keeps on going.... Cancer is the ugly word of the day....

So here I go, I'm upset and I start cutting away the bad metal the next couple of days right, I'm cutting, and cutting....

And cutting....

And cutting some more....

And before I realize what I have done, I have cut all the support out of the cab almost completely. So now not only do I have a ton of sheet metal to replace, grind, weld, weld and grind, grind and weld. But now I have to figure out how the heck to put it back correctly and the doors will hopefully shut...... Geeze I really suck at buying old c10's....
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote