View Single Post
Old 11-19-2018, 11:50 AM   #25
weim55

Re: 3 Speed Overdrive

A couple things to keep in mind on the four bolt three speed: The design of this unit goes back into the 1930s. These units are not as smooth and quiet as the seven bolt currently in your truck. The four bolt shifts a little sloppier and clunkier by comparison. Also remember : first gear is not synchronized! The four bolt is not nearly as strong as the later 7 bolt. That said it will work just fine in a truck used for light hauling and cruising.

Yes, the four bolts uses a coarse spline slip yoke. Should be a common find, I'll bet Danchuk sells them new for tri five Chevys. I'm not sure about the length but I can put a tape measure on both transmissions when I get home in the next couple days.

It's possible to operate The overdrive wired straight to the solenoid with a switch inside the truck and nothing else. All you have to do is make sure the overdrive lock out lever is fixed in the overdrive position full-time. I still recommend running a cable to that lever to lock out the overdrive should you elect to. Another feature all of these transmissions have is free wheeling when in overdrive. When you let off the throttle the engine returns to idle, there is no engine braking when the overdrive is engaged. The thing to keep in mind with this if you accidentally leave the overdrive engaged when you park the truck you can roll backwards left in gear. Just make sure your solenoid is wired to something ignition hot.

Steve weim55 Colorado
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote