View Single Post
Old 10-14-2016, 12:34 AM   #98
Nick_R_23

Re: Project "You thought yours was bad!" '78 C10 Stepside

Well, I guess I should get back to updating this! I picked up a new toy and I've been out enjoying this one instead of working on my truck.

To start off, I scored a double hump crossmember the other day!

I got the transmission back from getting the shift kit installed and calibrated for the truck. It had a JR kit installed previously, but it was done incorrectly as well as all the electronics had been removed, so I had everything replaced.

Flexplate installed

My el cheapo tranny slider to make it easy to get under the truck

Made it!

It was the biggest pain in the ass ever to get this sucker up onto the jack!

So now that the transmission is up and bolted to the engine, the trans mount is installed, and the crossmember is shifted up into place...my transmission is touching the tunnel!! I checked the thickness of the transmission mount, the thickness of the body mounts, even shimmed the center body mounts up 1/4" (the frame brackets sag slightly there), which barely lifted the tunnel. So, I slid the old single hump crossmember up next to the new one...

...and it's hard to tell in this dark picture, but the new double hump crossmember sits up about 1/4" taller than the old one. Has anyone ran into this before? I think I might just have to section a piece out of my new crossmember to make this work.
Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote