View Single Post
Old 10-31-2017, 06:47 AM   #3
BossHogg69
motor exploder

Re: Help bleeding clutch on 87 halfton

I just went through this last weekend with a RAM hyd throwout bearing and wilwood 3/4 clutch master, it's a little different than a slave cylinder, but the same principles apply. I tried pumping/bleeding, the MityVac (which works awesome on brakes!) and gravity bleeding - nothing working. I could get some air bubbles out with the MityVac, but couldn't get the pedal quite right. I ended up having to pull the transmission out, and manually pumping the throwout bearing a bunch of times with the m/c cap off and finally got the pedal right. At least yours has a clutch rod/slave cylinder that you can access without pulling the trans. I ran a McLeod hyd t.o. bearing before this RAM and it would bleed just fine using the bleeder screw. In defense of the RAM unit, I'm also using a RAM hydraulic pedal adjuster inline before the t.o. bearing, and it may have been where the air was trapped. You might try unbolting the slave cylinder and working it while tilting the fluid inlet end up toward while working it back & forth to allow any trapped air to exit the system. Sometimes the air bubbles get trapped horizontally in the slave cylinder and are stubborn to get out.

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote