View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 11:23 PM   #4
Jokerz

Re: Changing the rear spring type?

Thanks guys. What I'm working on is not actually a C-10 pickup; it's an Grumman Olsonette step van (looks like an old ice cream truck).

The chassis/drivetrain from the factory is a shorter version of the C-10 pickup with the trailing arm suspension (wheelbase is only 102").

I've done a swap on the front to an '87 Suburban 5-lug disc (complete crossmember) and the I've swapped the rear axle in too.

I'll be using it as a mini food truck so it'll be carrying a load, but nothing particularly heavy, maybe 800 lbs. Maybe pulling a small trailer too sometimes. It may vary a bit in load though, and the ability to adjust it easily would be really handy.

I'd like to get a bit more than a six inch drop in the back, though I am not sure how practical it would be - I can't raise the bed like you can on a truck. I know I will need to do some frame notching, and there is about an inch 1 1/2" between the top of the frame rail and the floor bottom for some extra reinforcing.
One idea is of some sort of conventional spring with a helper bag in it. I don't think the internal helper bags work with double pig tailed springs though (?).

I do like the idea of coil overs though. I also came across this coil over shock system:

https://chassisengineering.com/shopD...Id=1056#BuyNow

I could make something like this at the end of the trailing arm and add a bag where the original spring was.

I think I may be talking myself into bags here, LOL Bags are cheap enough that I could buy a set as a starting point...
Thanks again for the input!
Jokerz is offline   Reply With Quote