View Single Post
Old 04-02-2017, 09:54 PM   #107
UGAK5

Re: 1972 Blazer CST Frame off Project in NC

Had a good weekend - got almost everything off the to do list for the weekend.

DONE:

** Rear brakes completed, including having to fabricate an adjuster opening in the brake backer plate. I don't think I've posted this before, but when I rebuilt the rear axles, I replaced the stock brake backer plates with an original set of heavy duty brake backer plates. This gives me a set of shoes that are 2 3/4" wide versus 2", so I gained about 30% of stopping power. I decided I wanted to keep rear drums for three reasons - 1) 70% of braking is in the front and with my new slotted rotors and dual caliper Wilwoods, that seemed sufficient. 2) Rear discs move you to a 16" wheel and I wanted to stay with 15" - that backfired when I had to move to 16" wheels due to front clearance. And, 3) Rear discs cost almost triple what this cost me.

** Tie rod cleaned, POR-15'd, tie rod ends installed and mounted

** Fuel tank modified (swapped filler neck from old tank to new tank), repainted - and POR-15'd the straps. Would've mounted it too if I'd had four arms - - or a helper.

NOT DONE:

** Steering damper not installed. I bought a Monroe shock and had some clearance issues - plus I just didn't like the Monroe shock. I am going to try a Bilstein.

Now, some pics.......and A ROLLING CHASIS!
Attached Images

UGAK5 is offline   Reply With Quote