Thread: Wife's 48
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2018, 08:00 PM   #137
8man

Re: Wife's 48

Got some time in the shop today with my buddy. Since he is taking the 48, he did some of the work, and I got some pics of him actually working. We got the bed torn down and drilled out the side angles, getting it ready for blasting and prime.
IMG_2097 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr
We drilled out the spot welds, and then used a seam buster to get them off. They had rusted on. The sides were straightened and the new angles were test fit to the sides.

The rear cross brace was welded to the bed sides. That complicated taking it all apart.

Question: Is it recommended to weld the sides to the rear cross brace? Or just use the bolts?

My plan is to prime the angles and bed sides and then plug weld the angles to the side. I will clean off the primer where the plug welds will be and then touch up the primer.

Then we finally took the time to tack the body mounts in place. I am using the frame to store the cab I'm cutting up for pieces that I need on my wife's 54.
IMG_2098 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

Since this is my first truck build, we measured and re-measured several times before we tacked them in place. When we set the mounts on the frame, one looked taller than it's opposite, so we got a 4' level, and sure enough, the mounts are the same, the frame isn't level. We have not rebuilt the front end and then we measured the tires, and the difference was in the junk tires. It'll level out with the correct tires.

IMG_2099 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

Ok, another question. As I understand it, we should NOW rebuild the front end. Once the front end has been rebuilt, we can test fit the cab on the mounts that have been tacked in place. Once the cab is sitting on the frame, we then get the motor and tranny put in place to make sure everything is working together. Once it is in, we put the front back on and then can start on the radiator bracket and the front bumper mounting system. At that point we dissemble the whole thing and start cleaning and priming, or did I miss another step?

I know, I'm using Skymangs work as a bible, just measuring twice...
Build thread: "]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=746899&highlight=wife%27s+48[/URL]
[/URL]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=840204
8man is offline   Reply With Quote