Thread: 3rd brake light
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2018, 05:55 PM   #9
MARTINSR

Re: 3rd brake light

I have really studied traffic on many levels. One thing is people DRIVE BY the brake lights on the car in front of them. A plane could crash on the street three cars ahead and they wouldn't see it, ALL they are looking at are the brake lights of the car in front of them.

Thus, personally, I wouldn't put the light down under the tailgate. With the lift as vintovka describes that could make a difference. But I still think up higher is needed. I would put it on the back of the cab or in the rear window or in the top of the tailgate because that is where all other cars third brake light is mounted, that is what they are used to seeing, can't throw them a curveball they aren't going to see it.

I changed the switch on my Rambler daily driver so that it's mechanical on the brake pedal (mid sixties Ford) now I only have to move the brake pedal about a quarter inch or less to light the brake lights. I can tap on the brake pedal flashing the brake lights without putting my brakes on. I have found people react to it big time, they back off, they slow down, it's pretty remarkable how good it works.

I also put reflectors cut from a late model car in the tail lights, that worked GREAT. Those suckers shine now!

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote