View Single Post
Old 03-06-2014, 07:52 PM   #18
GEARBOXGARAGE

Re: TCI to start new R&D Project with a C10!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow4dr View Post
Our chro-moly pins have proved themselves pretty well over the years. For instance our Road Race Camaro weighs in at 3800 lbs with driver. That car has 8 years of complete and total abuse and not so much as even basic maintenance done to it. It still has the original grease in the original bearings. We know though that the C10 is a different monster all together.

Something that struck us as odd is the OEM C10 spindle pin is smaller than the MII pin. So basically the I/D of the C10 bearing is smaller than the MII bearing. Although the C10 bearings are larger overall, both width and O/D. If GM felt the pin was suffeciently strong enough, who are we to argue? We will base our new spindle pin dimensions off the OEM pin. Ours will just be made out of Chro-Moly. This way replacement parts like rotors and bearings will also be OEM.

-J
Looks like I type-o'd on the weight of a pick-up. Should of been "close to 4k" not "close to 3k". But any way, you're definitely right on the trucks being a "different monster all together" with most of the weight on the front. I not so sure if the pin size on the spindle is as big of an issue as the bearing size, but using a superior material like the Chrome-moly you mentioned is a huge plus. In theory, by incorporating a smaller I.D., or smaller pin design, with the larger O.D. allowed by the truck rotor, GM could then use a bearing with either more rollers, or larger rollers, or possibly both, increasing the weight capacity of that application. The larger/higher roller count disperses the energy more efficiently. For those that may not be familiar with the L10 Life I mentioned in an earlier post, this is a mathematical equation that can predict a 90% failure mode under specific loads. This can literally narrow it down to expected hours of in-service operation, pretty accurate stuff. A few months back, the engineering team I work with had a Lunch-N-Learn seminar with Timken Bearings and the information they shared was tremendous.

Again, kudos to you TCI, for the great development going on!
GEARBOXGARAGE is offline   Reply With Quote