View Single Post
Old 11-10-2017, 11:31 PM   #99
jeffahart

Re: A quick look at the Hickey worm gear winch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crate View Post
Yes, still recovering from that gear work. I do have access to a very decent machine shop and will be going the same route that you took. It will be easier to get parts and maintain after converting to the newer gear and seal. I don't know anyone who would say "I won't need to maintain that" although most winches probably don't see much action. The winch I have was covered in silicone sealant and that seal in particular was covered in it, so I know it was leaking and the previous owner obviously attempted to cure the issue but couldn't get that drive gear off. I just got back from my business trip so looking forward to some quality time with the winch and bead blaster. More pictures of the Hickey winch to follow...how kool is that going to be? Who doesn't want more pictures of Hickey winches...?

I figure if I have to swap my motor I will pull the winch and probably open the transfer case; but it will be nice to not have to pull the gear. I'm now looking forward to the hex nut stripping out after it freezes!

But my main point I wanted to make besides being a smart A$$. Regarding leaking transfer seals, if they do leak and you went with the old setup... I think these transfers are a perfect candidate for corn head grease. If you've never herd of the John Deere Corn Head grease check it out. In a nutshell, it's grease until it get's warmed up by the gears, then it becomes an oil. Then thickens again when it cools. It won't leak. These things aren't like transmissions or rear ends, they run short bursts at low speed. So a maintenance free lubricant is tempting. I wouldn't hesitate to use it in the main housing with the worm and bronze gear either.

I considered filling mine with corn head grease. When I put the oil in I wondered if I would ever change it, not likely. So, I considered a fire and forget lubricant like the corn head grease. But I put oil in for the bench test and it's stayed that way so far.

I run the winch line out about five feet every time I wash the truck, just to keep oil spun up in the top. If I used the corn head grease, it would stick a bit better up high and I could probably go quite a while without running the winch.

Just another two cents!

Oh and yes... Pics Pics Pics... we love pictures of winches!

j