View Single Post
Old 05-05-2018, 11:49 AM   #19
joedoh

Re: Starting a 52 Chevy 3100 Project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28TudorAZ View Post
I already have a dad and the S10 frame idea was his idea but thanks for the suggestions as I have already weighed all of our options. There must be a reason why so many do this swap. Money, time, availability of parts, and engineering dictated our direction. The money part, the S10 frame will be free if not gaining a few dollars once we sell all the parts and the old frame from the 52. To upgrade the old frame it would need to be boxed, front end replaced(big money) and re-engineered, rear end rebuilt. All of this is I would guess would be in the $4000 range and a lot more time. The engineering part with the front end can get tricky and mistakes can happened very easily there as well. I figure the time put in will actually be shorter and cheaper when it comes to all of that. The S10 frame has been engineered and tested for many years. As far as finishing the project I have seen plenty of completely stock projects stall as well so that is not a very valid argument. I have a welder, plasma cutter, blast cabinet, and lots of tools. I'm not skeered. The 28 Tudor in my avatar has been through all of this. I did everything down to the re-wiring and had to modify most parts to make them fit as you cant really buy anything for a custom car. It took me about a year.

this is a lucid and well thought argument. if you buy an s10 frame you have highway gearing, a chassis that will take a small block without issue, power steering, brake lines, brake booster, disc front brakes, fuel tank, fuel lines, even a harness and steering column if you repurpose the parts. you also have a good amount of stuff to sell.

with a IFS swap, you have IFS, disc brakes, and.... nothing. guys can get the price of the IFS down to 1000-1200 bucks (and then compalin about the quality or spend on upgrades) but thats still all you have. still need a rear end, a booster, a gas pedal, motor mounts, literally everything but the IFS.

the time isnt spent in mounting the body. the time (and the money!) is spent in everything else.

so if you can put up with the guys who havent driven their trucks in 30 years (still looking for the perfect combination of parts maybe) and listen to the guys who have built a really nice one (skymangs comes to mind, Tikal48 has a gorgeous s10 based truck, there are even more in the project section) and most of all ignore the "slam it together" guys jesse Z is talking about, you will come out alright.

brian, never in history has someone spent so much effort telling other people how they should/could build their trucks and spent so little time building his own. physician, heal thyself!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote