View Single Post
Old 02-12-2011, 05:13 PM   #241
1956cameo

Re: Left for dead: 72 2wd blazer build

So I cut out the outer skin over the troubled area. It looks like I will need to cut some more out later. This is all I did on this part of the project because I was working at night so therefore wasn't able to get any donor patches off of the parts trucks. We will have to come back to this project later.

I knew my bed floor was in pretty lousy shape from the wheel tubs back. This is because somewhere along the line a previous owner thought it would be a good idea to take the rear hatch off the blazer, bust out one of the side windows, but still leave the carpet in place. I was thinking I might knock all the scale off of the troubled areas of the bed floor and then just weld in the rust holes then rust treat the bed floor. Then I came to the conclusion that they are just too far gone to save. Besides why do this much metal work then not do the bed floor.

Here is a close up of what I am working with from the center of the wheel tubs back.

Aeren't the stars beautiful tonight? No, they are not! That's because that is the light shining thru the bed floor from a shop light that is under the blazer. If that picture would have been taken after I knocked all the scale off it would have looked like a close up of the Milky Way Galaxy.

After taking a few measurements I removed the first section of the blazer bed floor. Since I am getting the donor floor from a long bed truck I will be replacing the bed floor in two sections. Once this section is welded back into place I will remove the rear section. I made my cuts over the bed floor braces, that way the welds wont be visible from the underside of the truck, and thus making it like nothing ever happened when I get done.

By this point in time it was well after 11pm, I had an hour drive to get back home, and the temperature in the shop was 38 degrees and dropping fast, therefore that is all the progress I have to show for now. Hopefully the next update will be very soon.

'72 blazer 2wd build

67-72 Factory Big Block Registry
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote