View Single Post
Old 02-01-2019, 10:23 PM   #14
Thebrownturd

Re: 4x4 Transmission rebuild

Hey guys. First, thanks for the suggestions and help.
I managed to get the tranny rebuilt and put back in. I found burnt clutches, thrust washer scoring a nice grove into the back side if the forward drum (had to get a whole new drum), and the end of the parking linkage that engaged the pawl was literally coming apart. Yes, the cast piece was breaking into chunks, so there was a good amount of hard metal floating around at some point.

I put it all back together last weekend and crossed my fingers as I put it into gear for its first test run. It ran great. No slipping or noise to worry about. Went through all gears but was shifting very early. I know some of this can adjusted through the vacuum modulator.

Today I took it in to town (35 miles), only after getting there I began to notice a noise and some possible slipping when coming to a stop or at take off. I am leaning towards forward clutches slipping. Anyone have any suggestions of things I can check before having to pull it all back out? I have already made sure there is plenty of fluid. I put 1 quart in TC before installing and 9 more after that. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Thebrownturd is offline   Reply With Quote