View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 11:47 PM   #9
Blake_H

Re: '86 Crew Cab - The Race Car Hauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry View Post
Looking great Blake! Got to love 8.1L’s!

What harness supplier did you end up going with?
I used Jim's Performance in Maryland. By the time I talked to you, I already had a factory harness sitting in the shop. He had been answering all my questions over the years and I really peppered him with questions in May and June. Plus, the one thing I did use from that article by the guy at Wyotech was the throttle pedal. Jim made that work. At first he was unsure about it, but he was able to make it work. I got everything back from him about a month ago.

I was really pleased with the input Jim had and the price was reasonable. Plus, he was able to save me a lot of headache. He made sure I had all the right stuff before I sent it out to him. I didn't know about the 2 different TAC modules and I had no idea that there was a major change between the 2002 & 2003 model years as far as harness and ecm's go.

If I had it to do over again with the knowledge I have now, I wouldn't do anything older than a 2003 8.1l. Finding a TAC module was a treat and by a really decent stroke of luck I had a 2002 harness and ecm. Because when I bought them I had no idea what I was buying.

If any one asked me now what I would advise, I would tell them the same thing you told me. Buy a Howell for $600.00 and be done with it. I'm happy with what Jim did and if I had sourced mine from a different yard, for less money, I would be even happier.
Blake_H is offline   Reply With Quote