View Single Post
Old 04-06-2018, 09:12 PM   #3
Green Monster

Re: Inside tire carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by craneboy72 View Post
Can someone tell me what the max tire size an interior carrier on a 71 Blazer fit? I wanted to put a 12:50 33” on it if I will fit.
Kind of... I have a 33" x 12.5 R15 in my 72 and because the tire wheel combo is taller the inside of the wheel slips over the top of the carrier. The sidwall of the tire should press against the carrier. As a result, the tire presses against the back of the rear seat. I can hear the rubber of the tire rubbing against the seat while driving- it squeeks.

I see two options to to address this;

1.Fabricate an extension to add to the top of the carrier might address this issue. I haven't tried it yet.

2. Or you could take the carrier apart at the weld, move the top half up an two inches, weld the top back on and it would look stock.

The larger tire does not interfere with the CST side panel. It is a bigger tire than stock and will significantly obscure your the view from the rear view mirror.

The 33 x 12.50 will fit but slight modifications should be made to ensure it is secure.

To answer your question, it will physically fit, but modifications should be made for it to fit securely. A tire breaking loose inside the vehicle during a collosion could be fatal.

Last edited by Green Monster; 04-07-2018 at 07:04 AM.
Green Monster is offline   Reply With Quote