View Single Post
Old 11-04-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
bollybib

Re: Universal Joint R&R

UNIVERSAL JOINT R&R (2 OF 6)

Snug up the clamp and socket on the UJ and slowly apply force to one bearing by pressing with the clamp screw.
Name:  100_5783 20pct.jpg
Views: 1044
Size:  86.0 KBName:  100_5784 20pct.jpg
Views: 938
Size:  86.0 KB

If you are lucky, the clamp/socket combo will work as long as the bearing/yoke contact surfaces are not too corroded (which usually isn’t the case) or the UJ is small. If the clamp begins to distort, this method won’t work. Back off and try the next step. Applying heat and a good penetrating fluid may help.

The next thing I try is a stout bench vise instead of a C-clamp, but that often isn’t enough, either. I’ve broken at least one vise doing this, so don’t force things. In the picture below, I’ve placed two thick washers against one bearing and then screwed down the vice in an attempt to break the bearings loose from their bores. It did not work.
Name:  100_5788 20pct.jpg
Views: 950
Size:  96.4 KB

If the bearings still haven’t budged, you can take the driveshaft to a shop and have them pressed out. I’ve done this a few times in the past. Better still, if you have your own press, do it yourself. A press is the best tool to use, especially for UJs that haven’t been touched for decades. I recently purchased a press of my own and after I used it a few times, I wondered why I hadn’t got one years ago. If you plan on doing most of the work on your truck yourself, a press is indispensable.

Place the UJ in the press with two thick washers on the upper bearing as you did in the vice and then press. They will break free at last !
Name:  100_5791 20pct.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  84.3 KB

Then, place a suitably sized socket against the upper bearing and the larger one below. The lower bearing should slide into the socket as it emerges. Press as far as the trunnion allows, but once again, don’t force anything.
Name:  100_5792 20pct.jpg
Views: 974
Size:  82.6 KB

My Daily Driver is a 1969 Chevrolet Custom/20 Fleetside 350/TH400/Eaton H052 4.10
and its Project thread is here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=456911