View Single Post
Old 12-02-2005, 09:44 PM   #12
SSC's76
No No

Re: header collector sealing problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cst70rocket
" no matter how tight I tighten them, they won't seal"
That's the problem. They don't need to be that tight. Here is the cheapest solution, and it works flawlessly everytime, for years to come. Go to the parts store, and buy some good collector gaskets, 2 sets (4 gaskets) I prefer the fel pro blue gaskets if you can find them. Then go to your local exhaust shop, and buy an extra set of flanges. All ya gotta do is sandwich the extra flange between the two gaskets, and viola!!! No more leaks. Please submit $1 to my paypal account for this info!!! BTW, here is a pic.

You suck! I wanted to tell them about that trick.

Yep as cst70 said this trick works! Ive done it a few times with warped flanges and it sealed them up with no problems. This also tends to increase collector gasket life quite a bit since the pipes arent constantly rubbing against both sides of the gasket cutting it from both ends.
Gen VI 454, Muncie HD 3 speed With Modified OE Hurst Shifter, 3.73 12 bolt, GMPP HO roller cam, Hooker headers, Performer intake with modified Q-jet, Accel distributor. Best 1/4 12.3 @108. Funnest run 19.84 @88 full 1/4 mile burn out.
1997 K1500 ext cab 5.7 stock except muffler
SSC's76 is offline   Reply With Quote