Thread: Good fi cleaner
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2018, 06:37 PM   #14
mattfranklin

Re: Good fi cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselSJ View Post
They guys on the Corvette forums swear by the Techron cleaner when they have fuel level sender issues.

Question - does the 87 octane Chevron gasoline have less Techron additive than the 89 or 91 octane? In other words, do I need to run an occasional tank of 91 or am I good just running 87 all the time? There is a Chevron close to my house and probably 9 tanks out of 10 are purchased there.
That was three jobs ago for me, so that this with a grain of salt. Usually premium is better, but our regular did a pretty good job against competitors' premiums. I think all of our octane grades are pretty strong.

But if you need 91 then definitely use it. I'm a little frugal so I usually use 87, but if I'm going up into the mountains and carrying a heavy load or pulling a trailer I don't hesitate to fill with 91 before I head up. Of course if you're going down hill from the mountains then 87 is fine.

Having said that, I'm experimenting with my Jeep to see if it makes a difference in MPG. Over the past 6 weeks it's gotten 21-22 on 87 on my commute. I'm trying 91 this week and may continue of the data set looks promising.

They publicly say that if you use our gas you shouldn't need a bottle of Concentrate Plus, but I occasionally put a bottle in mine once or twice a year to be safe.

I remember hearing about the "Plus." That's when they added some special stuff to deal with the corrosion of the silver fuel tank sending units. I knew the guy that did that work.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=567340
mattfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote