View Single Post
Old 02-16-2017, 08:09 AM   #17
saxart

Re: How many have restored trucks and left their front drum brakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by James the III View Post
It seems at least 1 every year on the p/t end up wrecking many times it was they could not stop and rear ended a vehicle.. and had drums ..
What?

So you're saying you've seen data somewhere that these vehicles rear-ended someone BECAUSE they had drum brakes and that accident WOULDN'T have happened had they had disk brakes? I don't buy that at all.

If I'm doing 55mph in my 1970 C-10 (with drum brakes) and nail the brakes "panic stop" style, all four wheels will lock up in plumes of tire smoke. Obviously that would be the wrong way to operate a non-ABS vehicle, but my point is, how would me having disk brakes in that example make me stop any sooner? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that disk brakes may be very slightly easier to modulate so they DON'T lock up, but frankly if you're following someone close enough that the slight benefit in modulation is the difference between smashing into someone or not, then you're following them WAY to close.

I'm no expert, but I'd be willing to bet a few dollars that 99% of the accidents on a cruise event like the Power Tour are the result of grown men acting like 16 year old boys in vehicles that have much more horsepower than they came with from the factory. I think the usual excuse is, "I didn't do anything wrong, it just GOT AWAY FROM ME."

Yes, if you are towing, racing, or driving in mountainous terrain, then disks are the way to go, but as long as you don't drive like and idiot, then the original drum brakes will be more than adequate.