View Single Post
Old 02-16-2017, 09:50 AM   #24
James the III

Re: How many have restored trucks and left their front drum brakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxart View Post
What?

So you're saying you've seen data somewhere that these vehicles rear-ended someone BECAUSE they had drum brakes and that accident WOULDN'T have happened had they had disk brakes? I don't buy that at all.

If I'm doing 55mph in my 1970 C-10 (with drum brakes) and nail the brakes "panic stop" style, all four wheels will lock up in plumes of tire smoke. Obviously that would be the wrong way to operate a non-ABS vehicle, but my point is, how would me having disk brakes in that example make me stop any sooner? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that disk brakes may be very slightly easier to modulate so they DON'T lock up, but frankly if you're following someone close enough that the slight benefit in modulation is the difference between smashing into someone or not, then you're following them WAY to close.

I'm no expert, but I'd be willing to bet a few dollars that 99% of the accidents on a cruise event like the Power Tour are the result of grown men acting like 16 year old boys in vehicles that have much more horsepower than they came with from the factory. I think the usual excuse is, "I didn't do anything wrong, it just GOT AWAY FROM ME."

Yes, if you are towing, racing, or driving in mountainous terrain, then disks are the way to go, but as long as you don't drive like and idiot, then the original drum brakes will be more than adequate.
Most times it's not the person in the drum braked vehicle that drives like an idiot, but Don't matter if they changed lanes and then stop to turn and you can't..

Most that live in the boon docks with no traffic have no issues with a vehicle that can't stop like todays vehicles..
And will say till the cows come home that they are fine..
Those in areas with traffic and drivers that will fill a hole if their car might fit, know better..
The power tour fits this.
There has been post on forums about rear ending another car, on the p/t on the hot rod page, bang shift, car craft. etc..
I'm not claiming drums don't work.. but fact is they are not safe if you drive with others on the road that can stop 30-60 feet before you, and you can't keep the space between the car in front of you as someone will fill it..
The insurance don't care nor does the police officer, you rear ended the other vehicle you are at fault.. 99.99% of the time..
I've driven all drum non power and power vehicles, and try as I might to keep enough space a vehicle slides in and fills it.. and will keep doing so.. so unless you pull over and wait till no traffic, you can't keep an extra car or 2 lengths in front of you as a cushion ..
James the III is offline   Reply With Quote