View Single Post
Old 10-19-2013, 05:30 AM   #1
Chevysdominate

DIY Air Ride Display finished(alpha)

I just finished the last of the programming I can do without it being installed. So I figured it was a good time to let people in on my project.

I'm a software engineer by trade, but I'm a mechanical engineer at heart. I've been thinking about making my own ride height display for about 3 years now. After installing air bags with manual valves with air pressure gauges I quickly realized how useless pressure gauges are. I wanted ride height sensors. So I pieced together a setup that i thought would work. The only problem was the right height sensors where prohibitively expensive. The big boys of the ride height controller business wanted $500+ for the sensors. This made the whole setup way to expensive considering it would require a few hundred more to finish. Not a whole bunch less then the professional systems. Hall effect rotary sensors(ride height sensors) have become much more common place on modern autos and I realized I could source GM sensors off junk yard vehicles or just buy replacement delphi units. I recently found a set for a really good price and couldn't pass on the opportunity to make my own ride height display.

It's a prototype at the moment and I'll call it Alpha v0.1 I'm not going to get into the details yet. But anyone with a sharp eye can decipher the major components of the system.

Note this is ONLY a ride height display right now. It can not operate valves yet. Its setup to be able to control air valves in the future. I have DLOE65 manual valves and love them. I'll have true ride height on all four corners and tank pressure. This will be a great upgrade to my pressure gauges. I'll be adding 4 extra pressure sensors later for separate bag pressures. I planning on getting this installed on my 65 sometime this weekend if i can find the time.
Attached Images

Chevysdominate is offline   Reply With Quote