View Single Post
Old 10-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #86
1966chevy

Re: 1966 chevy truck engine swap to LS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGross View Post
I'm also thinking of installing the one piece side windows, I've done some resurch and posted some questions for those that have done the mod no responses so far. There is a kit out there for the conversion from NoLimites.com that has mixed reviews. This is what I've found out so far.

1966Chevy I would be interested in hearing your answers to these questions.

I’m thinking of installing one piece side windows in my 65 daily driver. I’ve searched and read most if not all of the post on this modification and I think the issues/concerns can be summed up as follows;

1. It requires a lot of cutting to the door, and the vent windows will be destroyed.
2. The door check may be in the way
3. Removing pieces of the door’s internal structure may leave the door “flimsy”

I’m not concerned with issue 1 I’m pretty good at metal fabrication. So what is you experience with the modification and did you have any problems with issues 2 and 3.

Since this is my daily drive I have one more questions, any issues with wind noise or leaking while driving in the rain?

Thanks for your Help
Yes, I used the KIT from NoLimites.com.
I was waiting for someone to ask about this in my thread.

Item #2
I had to biuld two cable door check/stops because the stock steal ridged door stop would hit the window or Rail/track. I can take some pictures of mine so you can see it what I did.

Item#3
I did have to remove quite a bit of metal from the inside of the doors directly under the old wing windows. I felt the same about having the door be flimsy after doing this. So I didn't take the chance! I bent some the metal and reinforced the door jam near the hinges. I think closest the where the hing mounts would have been the weak point. I treated the metal inside of the door after I was completed with the metal fabrication.

Lots of installing and removing the glass for fitting, be care full to protect the windows with scratches while doing this. The rails were probably the hardest to set in place, follow the directions on this part.

I also had to build different size (Bar Gauge) windows extentions below the glass mounts because I use the wing window rails/Track. The wing window rails are a different size then the stock rail on the outside of the door (which you reuse & do not remove) follow the directions on this part. If you can get another set of stock rails/track from the wrecker you can use the parts that come in the box.
Those are my points any questions let me know. If your a metal fabricator you can do this.
Happy building!!
1966chevy is offline   Reply With Quote