View Single Post
Old 10-22-2015, 12:35 AM   #1
The_Hub

1960 'Burb Revival (First Post)

Hello all,

The name's Andrew. I've stalked the forums for a little while now but decided to make a profile. I've got a 1960 Chevy Suburban that I've owned for about 10 months now. Progress has been slow but I'm makin' it. I'm not going to restore the truck any time soon but I am going to make it road worthy to cruise around with my family. On to some pictures.

Here's where I found her. I'd seen it sitting in this spot on a hill about 50 yards off the highway for over 6 years. I could never get a good look at the front or back to see what generation it was. I finally had a chance to stop one day when I didn't have my wife and kids with me. There's no home with the little shop just an empty plot. I got the plate number to have an officer friend of mine run it with no luck. I talked to a neighbor who gave me a last name and a general vicinity of the owners home. Ended up leaving for the day. I finally decided I couldn't wait to find someone and did a little shadiness. I had to get the vin out of the door jamb. Got the vin and had my PO buddy run it. Got a name. Looked the name up in Google. Owner had since died... in 2004. Found where it said another man was related to him. Called the number. Got the brother of the previous owner. Said the Uncle had passed it on to the brother's son. IF that makes any sense. He then gave me his son's number. We talked for about a good 30 min. Talked on a Sunday and I was picking it up on Tuesday... for $1,000!!

Kiddos posing for a picture on the way home with our memory wagon!

She definitely hadn't been used in a few years for more than storage. Check out that shag!!

Word from the owner was that this used to be an old school bus. Not too sure on that but who knows!!

Had an old 350 out of a 70s Vette in it. One of those crappy emissions models. No inner fenders, front core support had been cut to tilt the hood, PS has been added, still drum up front but a booster had been added too. I did get this motor to run off a bottle twice. It definitely needed to be rebuilt. Soooo, out it came. I got a very good 307 from a friend for $100. Truck already had a 700r4 in it so we're good there.

OFF topic for a sec but I had a pin striping friend whip up a quick rendition of the burb. This'll go to shows with us.

Decided I wanted it to have wagon wheels and big cobra meats.

Said 307 dropped in and test starting. (failure due to wiring)

Another little off topic tidbit. Wrapped my door panels in burlap sacks.

Got another hood, fenders, grille support, and took some of that blue spray paint off the door. Look at that yellow!! You can also see that I've stripped most of the tint off of it now too.

Scored a '61 grille for $100 while in California on vacation. Had a gentleman that wanted the insert so we traded and he sent me '60 bars.

She got to take a sweet ride on another friends COE going to annootthher friends shop.

Update to today. Got most of my parts in to do the wiring and rear end.

Comments, jokes, criticism, all are welcome! Glad to finally be on the forum. Thanks guys.

Last edited by The_Hub; 10-22-2015 at 01:02 AM.
The_Hub is offline   Reply With Quote