View Single Post
Old 09-26-2014, 02:50 AM   #21
Kenfuzed

Re: Ken's 1966 C10 Short Fleetside build

So today I continued the engine pull and it didn't go any smoother. After finally getting the trans crossmember free I started pulling out the engine/trans as a single unit.

The truck is lowered so I had it up on ramps so I could get under it to free the member and driveshaft. I soon found out that I couldn't pull the engine up and over the front radiator support frame around the same time my load leveler seized. The 1 ton lift (another mistake) reached its max height, and to make things worse (yes they got worse) I couldn't back the truck off the ramps because the low stance of the front end doesn't have enough clearance to pull the legs of the engine lift back out. Oh the frustration and expletives!

Oh did I mention that I'm doing this all alone? Yeah, I tend to do things the hard way.

So back to the stuck engine and trans dangling up in the air like a 500lb pinata.
As mentioned the load leveler broke, the handle snapped off and then the screw shaft seized with the load being almost vertical. So I jacked up the tail of the trans. This didn't help much because I still couldn't get the engine up and over since there was no way I could jack up the tail that high.

Then I had an idea that actually got me over the hump. I decided to shore up the transmission in place there in the engine compartment with wood supports and separated the trans and engine right there. I don't recommend anyone else do this but giving the situation and working alone, this worked for me. With the weight now off the rear of the leveler I was able to get it to begin moving again. Bingo, up and over and out of the truck!

File all this under "how not to do things", but thankfully it worked out. Now on to the new engine.

Ken's 1966 C10 build "Red Ale"
Follow on Instgram: @cv_performance
https://instagram.com/cv_performance
Harley Performance Parts: CV Performance (Harley related)
Enjoying the ride!

Last edited by Kenfuzed; 11-06-2016 at 01:37 PM.
Kenfuzed is offline   Reply With Quote