View Single Post
Old 11-12-2017, 07:21 PM   #12
stewmagoo73

Re: Center boring a GM transport wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike16 View Post
its never a good idea to rely on the tapered surface of a lug nut to maintain the wheel on center.

also, the center portion of the wheel, and the area of it that interfaces with the hub are hardened by working the metal when it is pressed to that shape and by the heattreatment of the sheetmetal when it is actually manufactured.

among safety inspectors in the dragracing community it is not allowed. I had a ford 9 inch rear modified to install under a 50 pontiac, it used the 50 pontiac rims wich had a different inside diameter.. the wheels kept comming loose. I took it to a shop that installed my tires and their solution was to put the lug nuts on with so much force that I could not remove the lugnuts with a wrench. I took it back to them and when the attempted to remove the lug nuts they stripped the studs out of the axle flange.

when in doubt, consider this. the engineeres did things for a reason, and the accountants did too.
You are correct sir. I also guess that's why the transport wheels really weren't DOT certified wheel anyways.
stewmagoo73 is offline   Reply With Quote