View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011, 06:29 PM   #12
sevt_chevelle
Lost amongst the CORN

Re: What's hiding in the tool box part two

Now some body files which were used for two purposes. First a flat file was run over the finished dent to highlight any remaining low and high spots. The other purpose was to file down body solder or lead. Plastic body filler didn’t come around until the mid 1950’s even then it left much to be desired. So the body filler of the day was lead and various files were produced to file the lead to shape. The must have files of the day were Heller, they made a huge variety of files with different shapes and sizes. File on the left and top are from Fairmount the other three are Heller. The Fairmount file on top has a turnbuckle which allowed the user to change the curve of the file.

Not shown in the photo above is this Heller file similar to the wooden Fairmount file. The Fairmount is a flat file with absolutely no crown. The Heller is a half round file meaning it’s crowned. You could have half round files that were either concave or convex in shape. The concave files were designed for use on garnish mouldings which were basically window trim.

This type is referred as a reveal file because of the small size. The file itself is interchangeable with about 5 different blades. The main body is made from brass and produced by Heller. The purpose was to file around corners and other restricted areas.

A somewhat rare find is this complete Heller reveal file set with original box, same style as the reveal file shown above. The set includes all 5 different shapes files. This file is a very recent addition to the collection.

This picture shows a few of the different files. The two files on the left are the same other then one being concave and the other is convex.

Heller curved flat file. The wood file in the background is also a Heller and a curved flat file but with a different profile. This files are typically called bull nose files.

Now for the pride and joy of my collection, when I first saw them I knew I had to have them. Never been used or NOS World War II era Porter Ferguson hammers and dollies. From what I’ve read P-F only used green paint during 1942-1945ish, all other years P-F used blue or red. Hammer on the left is a BH-7 long pick hammer, middle hammer is a RH-10 and on the right is another BH-5 for a grand total of 4 BH-5 hammers. Needless to say they remain neatly stored away only used now as a center piece.

Dolly on the left is a GD-1, middle is GD-3 and the spoon on the right is another NOS B-6.

Even the handles look brand new. Not too bad for a 66 year old tool.

70 Chevelle gettin Sliced and Diced Anything But STOCK
70 Chevelle SS455 not a typo its a BUICK BABY
49 and 72 Chevy Trucks restored to original...close to it
Drommer Stor....Norwegian for Dream Big

http://s969.photobucket.com/albums/a...lle/?start=all

https://www.flickr.com/photos/47922830@N03/
Pictures of my work and projects
sevt_chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote