Thread: 47-55.1 55.1 S10 swap Gypsum
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2022, 03:09 PM   #14
joedoh

Re: 55.1 S10 swap Gypsum

so while i am waiting for all my parts to cut, here is a tip for all you s10 swappers. there is a lot of misinfo, mostly on facebook about the vin stamps in the frame, that s10s dont have them, that certain years of s10s dont have them. I havent found them all, mostly its because I wasnt looking hard enough or got too aggressive with my surface prep.

on 82-93 frames they are almost always stamped with punch dies on the passenger side tops of the frame, both stamps are on the rear sections, one on the long flat section under the door and one on the flat section over the axle. on 94-99 they are punch die stamped and can be on either side of the frame, drivers or passenger. on late 99-2000 and up trucks they switched to a dot matrix punch and the front stamp is right behind the drivers front cab mount on the top of the frame, right where it starts to bend. at the torque boxes.

no matter what year, its always a short VIN, starting with a C and only has 9 digits (including the C) instead of the full seventeen. if you bought just a frame and need to know axle codes or other rpo codes, you can talk to the dealer, they can seach by this short vin and even give you the full vin. its great to have a record of this when you are building an s10 swap, so that you can verify possession of the frame if it ever comes up. YOUR state may not have inspections for this but others will.

i got it pressure washed and semi painted and ready for cab mounts. still adjusting and cutting in 16ga, want a perfect fit! i sanded back the vin in case someone needs it later.
Attached Images

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote