Thread: Berthas Build
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2011, 06:42 PM   #38
dfairchild19

Re: Berthas Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesburb View Post
I remember now. I called a buddy of mine with a 72 K5 and asked where his pedal sat static. I was going to put it on the rubber bumper at rest, but I had adjusted a brake pedal very high in a vehicle long ago and everybody that drove it complained, so I wanted this one to be in the "right" spot from the get-go. I have mine set right at about 1/2" off the rubber bumper. It still has good range of motion and transition from gas to brake is good--not too high (my foot doesn't run into the side of the brake pedal in transition).

As far as the rod goes, I took the rod that the hydroboost came with and cut the pedal end ring off of it. For the pedal end I took a 73-? female threaded booster rod end and bored it out to a slight press fit on the o.d. of the cut off hydroboost rod. I put it all in the truck, set the pedal 1/2" off the rubber bumper, marked the location on the hydroboost shaft, pulled it all out and welded it together. I'm not a big fan of welding on brake parts, but I figured the part is piloted into the female end and the weld will only be in compression, not tension and there will be no real side-loading. With that going for it, I decided that was my way out of that situation.
Ok, I will keep this in mind when I get to the point of finishing the brake system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesburb View Post
Really?? Cool, I can't wait!! Oh, wait, :yawn:
haha I have had multiple updates(not including as much of the tranmission crossmember like I'd hoped, but I did make substantial progress on it!!). But I have made progress despite being sidetracked by planning the wedding and shopping for a house that we have no intentions of buying anytime soon. Any time that I do get to myself right now is time spent running out to the barn real quick to clean up or to see if something possibly got accomplished while I wasn't there! Spring will be here eventually and that is when the real work will begin. Last winter I didn't even have the motivation to turn a wrench let alone spend hours fabricating and making this darn thing fit where it shouldn't. So the way I see it, anything that gets accomplished in the winter in that freezing barn puts me that much further ahead than I could hope for in the winter to be ready for the real progress in the spring. Stay posted, the updates will come before you know it.
dfairchild19 is offline   Reply With Quote