View Single Post
Old 08-13-2018, 08:29 AM   #228
ncpetersc

Re: Help a NOOB - A continuing saga

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRL View Post
Not meaning to interrupt, but long ago a friend was towing his car with a Turbo-400 from Mississippi to CA. and I removed the driveshaft thinking that the trans. would be turning inside, but no pump would be lubing it on that long journey.

I then realized after he left that I hadn't marked the driveshaft for realignment, and mentioned it to someone.

Guy said it didn't matter, as the driveshaft itself is balanced so it will remain that way no matter how it's re-orientated.

Well, the friend didn't complain of vibration after he re-installed it in CA. so...?
Been thinking a LOT about this, and I will tell you why...

Though I did mark every single connection on this thing before disassembly with nice crayon marks. (I am doing all the ujoints too) In at least one instance while working, or going to install a new ujoint, I could not positively find my mark! All of the handling with the greasy hands can make quick work of a crayon mark. I *think* I saw a remnant of it, but can't be sure. So I am worried.

Here are some of my thoughts on this right now.

First the vehicle has not moved since removal. So trans and diff should be as they were.
You can only put the front of the front shaft into the tranny one way.
The yoke on the splines of the front shaft I know were marked positively.

I think *if* I get that yoke right, the only thing I could mess up is getting the rear shaft a full 180 out when connecting the two. That would definitely be a problem, but from what I read/hear I'll know.

But I am crossing my fingers that I got it right. I plan on checking my pre-disassembly pictures for any hints (weights etc.) to confirm. It's a paint marker more me next time!

But in a nutshell given the tranny is indexed, I think the only key for this two piece shaft is the yoke back on the right spline, then the back shaft to front shaft u-joint back in the right orientation, only two possibilities for it (correct, or 180 out).
ncpetersc is offline   Reply With Quote