View Single Post
Old 04-25-2017, 12:46 AM   #202
Nick_R_23

Re: Project "You thought yours was bad!" '78 C10 Stepside

Thanks! I'm excited too, it's taking too long at this final part!

So I got my driveshaft in today thinking that this was the final piece of the puzzle, that I could bolt it in, top off the trans, and fire it up. But when I went to mount the driveshaft to the axle, I couldn't get it to slide forward enough to come even close to getting the U-joint to make with the axle - the driveshaft was made too long! I called the shop and we verified that the specs and measurements given were correct, so I'm not sure what happened. But, they are willing to fix it for me if I drop it back off, so I'll be happy with that! I think between 3/4" to 1" shorter would be perfect. Unfortunately, with the time from dropping it off and picking it back up may leave me with limited time to actually mount and then be able to test fire this thing before I leave on my trip. Hopefully I can, but if not, I will have to leave you all as well as myself in suspense for two weeks!

Here is the yoke fully bottomed out in the transmission (note the mark)

And here is the yoke laid near the transmission with the U-joint seated in the axle (note mark again). There is some free area, but it is maybe 3/16" at most. Not good.

And here is the yoke bottomed out in the transmission, then pulled out 1" at proper free length setting. The U-joint sits almost perfectly 1" further back from the rear axle yoke.

I will be dropping this off extremely early Wednesday morning in hopes that this will be done in time before I go!
Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote