View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 12:46 PM   #21
Firebirdjones

Re: Dual Snorkel Intake

If stock appearance and sneaky is more your thing then you don't need all the flashy intake stuff.

Here's mine. I did this maybe 15-18 years ago. I have a complete dual snorkle air cleaner setup from a 305HO camaro but I preferred to keep the stock stuff and modify a bit.

I simply grabbed an extra air cleaner with the same snorkle from the junk yard, along with another intake hose and the plastic connector that clips onto the core support. The nice part is that most of these core supports are made with the intake hose holes already there on both sides (mine does) so it's just as simple as hooking it up.

I drilled the spot welds for the snorkle on the junk yard air cleaner, measured and cut the hole on my air cleaner. Spot welded the snorkle on, did a little touch up paint at the spot welds. Luckily the junk yard snorkle had about the same "patina" as my air cleaner assembly so it matches perfectly and looks as though it belongs there without having to paint the entire assembly

Most people look at this and don't even notice that it's not a factory setup, only a very few keen eyes have even caught it. (not that I open the hood for everyone though )

I also removed all the baffling inside the air cleaner that surrounds both the air filter and surrounds the throat of the carb so I get unrestricted fresh outside airflow.

Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote